This tree is too dense and the interior shoots are weak and yellow (first pic). To let more light into the inner parts of the tree, I need to reduce every pair of leaves to one and cut the remaining leaf in half, this process take a good 6 hours on this tree which I have to do over a few days after work.
Before leaf pair reduction 14th May 2016:
After pair reduction and leave cut 23rd May 2016:
And you can see a few weeks later the inner buds start to grow through the canopy 19th June 2016:
Same again next year.
This is my plan for this one:
So i cut back most of the growth to better placed buds closer to the trunk. I will cut back the lower branches more and the parent thread grafts in spring once I see the growth:
Here is a closeup of the grafts that have taken nicely. You can also see the one that did not take as it was shaded out over the growing season (the parent branches still have a bit of wire on them):
And my goal for this tree. A few options with how the apex will end up. I think I may reduce the top to fix the scare but not sure yet (pic 3):
This year this tree showed some interesting colour. Throughout the season I kept the top in check and just let the lower branches go:
After repotting, the thread grafts set in and this years spring leaves:
I was not impressed with the results after cutting windows in the sides of this roots trees. I only found one decent root that had grown. a lot of finer roots had grown from between the roots which I left untouched.