Japanese Maple bought at Auction

I bought this in a auction down in wales in NOVEMBER 2014, here is the tree when I brought it back on my bench

IMG_2955  IMG_2958

And here it is a few weeks later with a bit of wire applied

IMG_3097 IMG_3098

Advertisements

Spring 2015

This pic was taken 19th April 2015:

IMG_4419

Since this picture was taken I have let the bottom branches extend and kept the top in check. The more ramified the tree gets the smaller rye leaves are becoming.

To improve the nebari on the 30th May 2015 I decided to cut groves in some of the root splits to hopefully have new roots fill the gaps. I used a grafting knife to clean cut the top of the dremel groove and coved with rooting gel, I then back filled with akadama:

IMG_4654 IMG_4655 IMG_4656 IMG_4657

Winter Cutback and future Plan

So i cut back most of the growth to better placed buds closer to the trunk. I will cut back the lower branches more and the parent thread grafts in spring once I see the growth:

Here is a closeup of the grafts that have taken nicely. You can also see the one that did not take as it was shaded out over the growing season (the parent branches still have a bit of wire on them):

 

And my goal for this tree. A few options with how the apex will end up. I think I may reduce the top to fix the scare but not sure yet (pic 3):