On the 8th Feb 2017 I decided to cut this back hard to build a better branch structure, I also cut the first right branch back to some buds that had developed as the branch had a lot of wood rot so will used these buds to re grow the branch:
Then on the 19th March 2017 I decided to dig into the mat of roots to see what was in there. I did half this year, then half next year:
On the 20th December 2016 I cut back the growth to two, thread grafted a branch toward the top of the tree and cut off the large branch on the right that was inside of a curve. I also cut back the sister trunk.
On the 11th March 2017 the tree was repotted:
I’m going to grow out the first right branch this year to thicken the trunk below it.
This picture was taken on the 1st August 2015 shows the branch that I have been using to thicken up the sister trunk. It has since been removed in september. I will aim to thicken the primary branch in the main tree next season.
Picture taken 14th April 2015 as the leaves come out
Picture taken 6th April 2014:
This is the possible virt taking out the branch in the inside of the upper curve.
The result (hopefully) in a few years of building the ramification.
So on the 30th March 2014 I repotted this maple I purchase a few weeks prior. I waited for the buds to start swelling but BEFORE the leave burst. You need to wait for the trees to send its energy it has been storing in its roots over winter up into the trees and its buds before you can re-pot (including cutting roots). The tree will then push out leaves and the leaves will start photosynthesising and sending foot back down into the roots, for this to happen the roots need to supply the leaves with water. If you cut to many roots off without reducing the foliage the roots will struggle to support the leaves and they will wilt etc.. The soil I used is 2parts Akadama / 2part Cat Litter / 1part Pine Bark
The rootball was rock solid, I couldn’t even put a chopstick into it. Most of the thick roots where doing laps around the outside of the pot. I cut some of the long thick roots but I didn’t want to cut off too much as I was not touching the foliage at all.
I tied the tree down using this method, much more secure that using 2 bits or wire. Remember to attach the tail wire for the last tie off.
This finished product. I will add some sphagnum moss to the surface to hold moisture in and help develop more surface roots to thicken up the nebari:
The buds broke around the 24th April: