On the 8th Feb 2017 I decided to cut this back hard to build a better branch structure, I also cut the first right branch back to some buds that had developed as the branch had a lot of wood rot so will used these buds to re grow the branch:
Then on the 19th March 2017 I decided to dig into the mat of roots to see what was in there. I did half this year, then half next year:
8th June 2016 This tree exploded with growth and had a number of shoots at each junction and needed to be cut back:
21st February 2016 I cut back the leggy growth on this one:
On the 11th June 2016 I defoliated this tree left some leaves on the branch whips I wanted to keep and grow to thicken. As you can see it was packed with branches:
And here it is the before and after from the top and front:
On the 17th January 2016 I cut back the thicker branches and a virt of the future tree:
Some colour 1st and 8th November 2015:
The tree was way too leafy and branches too leggy so once it was growing strongly I cut back all the branches to the sap drawers closer into the trunk.
So after the removal of the air layers I repotted this tree on the 6th April 2015. This tree has not been repotted for years and looks like it only had been slip potted twice without any root work. this has caused a large solid thick ball of root under the tree. I was able to remove some of the roots underneath it but did not want to touch the roots above it this year.. I will do more work above the block of wood next repotting to see if I can get to the original nebari.
mesh from old pot
from underneath after removing matted roots
large block of fused roots from old oval pot, you can see the matted roots above the block that will need removing to get down to the original nebari